Il Rev. Dr. Luca Vona
Un evangelico nel Deserto

Ministro della Christian Universalist Association

lunedì 4 aprile 2022

1 Minute Gospel. Shine until the last hour

Reading

John 8:12-20

12 When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”
13 The Pharisees challenged him, “Here you are, appearing as your own witness; your testimony is not valid.”
14 Jesus answered, “Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid, for I know where I came from and where I am going. But you have no idea where I come from or where I am going. 15 You judge by human standards; I pass judgment on no one. 16 But if I do judge, my decisions are true, because I am not alone. I stand with the Father, who sent me. 17 In your own Law it is written that the testimony of two witnesses is true. 18 I am one who testifies for myself; my other witness is the Father, who sent me.”
19 Then they asked him, “Where is your father?”
“You do not know me or my Father,” Jesus replied. “If you knew me, you would know my Father also.” 20 He spoke these words while teaching in the temple courts near the place where the offerings were put. Yet no one seized him, because his hour had not yet come.

Meditation

One of the characteristic symbols of the feast of Booths, during which Jesus' dispute with the Jews takes place, was the light: in the evening, large bonfires and lamps were lit, which illuminated the night of Jerusalem. In the Bible, light is a symbol of life, joy, and salvation. It also recalls the pillar of fire that led the Jews into the desert (Num 9: 15-23). Jesus presents himself as "the light of the world" (v. 12). The prophet Isaiah had promised that the Servant of the Lord would be light for the nations (Is 42:6) and Simeon proclaims Jesus "a light for revelation to the Gentiles" (Lk 2:32). Whoever believes in Christ and follows him will not walk in darkness (1 Jn 1:5-10).

Jesus is the light that illuminates both our favorable hours and the dark hours marked by suffering and troubles. In whatever circumstance we find ourselves we have the example to follow in the person of Jesus and in his doctrine. But whoever follows Christ himself becomes "light of the world" (Mt 5:14), a witness of faith, hope and love, to dispel the darkness of violence, doubt, and mistrust.

Jesus affirms his own divine nature using the formula "I am", which evokes the definition of God in the book of Exodus ("I am who I am"; Ex 3:14). The expression is frequent in the Gospel of John (Jn 8:24.28.58; 13:19).

Jesus' debate with the Pharisees is on the theme of witness. The law required more than one witness to ascertain the truth (Dt 17.6; 19.15; Num 35.30). Jesus testifies for himself, but the heavenly Father also endorses his words. Jesus' words also reveal the distinction between divine persons and their equal dignity.

John signals the misunderstanding of Jesus' interlocutors who mistake the divine Father for simple human fatherhood (v. 19). The Jewish leaders do not really know the father. With his answer "If you knew me, you would know my Father also" Jesus affirms that the knowledge of God passes through the personal knowledge of the Son. It is not a question of merely intellectual knowledge of the gospel, but of experiencing Christ as the way, truth, and life, to be followed, contemplated, and shared with the brothers.

Despite the growing hostility, unable to stop Jesus' work because his hour (that is, the decisive moment of his death and glorification) had not yet come (v. 20), he continues his revelation. We too are called to radiate the light of the gospel, to burn with Christ, until our hour in this world is consummated and our flame joins him to shine in eternity.

Prayer

O Lord Jesus Christ, light from light, give us full communion with you so that we can radiate the light of your gospel into the darkness of the world and make your glory shine. Amen.

- Rev. Dr. Luca Vona