Il Rev. Dr. Luca Vona
Un evangelico nel Deserto

Ministro della Christian Universalist Association

martedì 17 maggio 2022

1 Minute Gospel. Peace at high price

Reading

John 14:27-31

27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
28 “You heard me say, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’ If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I. 29 I have told you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe. 30 I will not say much more to you, for the prince of this world is coming. He has no hold over me, 31 but he comes so that the world may learn that I love the Father and do exactly what my Father has commanded me.

Comment

Jesus prophesies his passion and resurrection so that when it will happen, the disciples can remain steadfast in the faith.

The "prince of this world" whose imminent coming Jesus announces (v. 30) is Satan, who is about to enter Judas so that he may carry out his betrayal and Christ be crucified. But through his passion, Jesus will show his obedience to the Father and his extreme act of love for man.

Jesus proclaims the Father greater than himself (v. 28), because the Son, by becoming incarnate, made himself obedient even to death on the cross (Phil 2:8).
The fruit of this serene submission is peace, which Jesus gives to the world. Shalom !, "Peace be with you!", Is the first word that the Risen One will say to his disciples.

The peace that Jesus gives is superior to the weak and fleeting peace that the world gives. On an individual level, he assures believers that they will be helped in difficulties, dissolves fear, and brings harmony to the Church. The full fulfillment of this peace will take place in the Messianic kingdom (Is 9:6-7; 52:7; 54:13; 57:19; Ez 37:26; Zc 9:10).

The peace that Jesus gives is obtained by him "at a high price". In fact, he obtains it for us through his cross, reconciling us with God.

The peace of the believer, however, is not exempt from trials, because each one is called to take up his own cross and follow Jesus (Lk 9:23). The tribulations then also become a place of encounter with God.

The believer is the one who invokes the peace of Christ where the battle rages: in the world, in relationships, in his own wounded heart.

Prayer

O Lord, we ask you for that peace that the world does not know and that it cannot take away from us; only in this way will we have the courage to face the trials of life. Amen.

- Rev. Dr. Luca Vona