Il Rev. Dr. Luca Vona
Un evangelico nel Deserto

Ministro della Christian Universalist Association

mercoledì 1 giugno 2022

1 Minute Gospel. Consecrated in the truth

Reading

John 17:11-19

11 I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one. 12 While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.
13 “I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them. 14 I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. 15 My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. 17 Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth. 18 As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. 19 For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified.

Comment

The death of Jesus will expose the disciples to the temptation and hatred of the world, but they will be guarded by God and will be able to experience the same unity that the Trinitarian life represents (v. 11).
The perdition of Judas is not a lack on the part of Jesus, but an event prophesied by the Scriptures (Ps 41.9; 109.8).

Jesus asks the Father for the fullness of joy for his disciples (v. 13). The believer rejoices in Christ with a lasting joy, which does not wither like the joy that the world gives.

There is a clear similarity between Jesus' request to the Father, in this prayer, to keep the disciples from the evil one (v. 15) and the last petition of the Our Father.

The idea of ​​consecration (v. 17) represents setting apart something for a specific use. Believers are set apart by God to become heralds of the gospel. Sanctification does not involve the isolation of the disciples from the world but their mission to the world. Jesus sanctifies himself (v. 19) by totally fulfilling the will of the Father.

The ministers of the ancient covenant, the Levite priests, were sanctified with the blood of bulls and goats, but the ministers of the gospel are consecrated by the sacrifice of Christ (Rev 5:9-10).

Knowing that Jesus intercedes for us, that we are present in his prayer, makes us live with the awareness of being guarded by his love. Guarding is different from owning. God does not stifle our freedom, but accompanies us, amid the difficulties of the world, in a relationship of love, placing under his blessing our actions in daily life.

Prayer

O Lord Jesus, incorporated by faith in your sacrifice of salvation, you have made us priests to our God; may our lives be transformed into a precious gift through your blessing. Amen.

- Rev. Dr. Luca Vona