Il Rev. Dr. Luca Vona
Un evangelico nel Deserto

Ministro della Christian Universalist Association

lunedì 7 marzo 2022

1 Minute Gospel. In the evening of life

Reading

Matthew 25:31-46

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’
44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’
46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Meditation

Having come out of the veil of the parables (that of the ten virgins and that of the talents), Jesus moves on to a more direct representation of the eschatological discourse ("on the last things"). In a page of great power and intensity the divine judgment is represented, entrusted to the Son of man, at the end of history. The images are so clear and immediate as to prevent any hesitation in interpretation.

The judgment for eternal life or for eternal damnation (v. 46) is already present in the book of Daniel, where appears the images of the "son of man", the heavenly hosts and the throne of glory, and it is stated that "Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt" (Dn 12:2).

The prophetic description given by Jesus places the fulfillment of works of mercy as the distinction between salvation and perdition (vv. 35-36). The judgment is pronounced on "all nations" (v. 32), an expression that includes both Jews and pagans, because before the end the gospel will be preached to the whole world.

The actions listed by Jesus, except the last one - "visit the prisoners" - are also recommended by Judaism as works of mercy. Thus, for example, Isaiah prophesies: "“Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen? [...] Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—when you see the naked, to clothe them, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?" (cf. Is 58:6-7).

Besides with the unhappy and the poor in general, the "least of the brothers" could be identified with the disciples of Jesus, welcomed or rejected by those to whom they bring the announcement of the gospel.

The surprise of men under judgment is to hear that whenever they helped someone in need or refrained from doing it, the true recipient of their mercy or neglect was Christ. Only with active faith can one enter the kingdom of God. Compassion and mercy are the hallmarks of Christ's disciples. In the evening of life we ​​will be judged on love (John of the Cross).

The judge does not place the rich on his right and the poor on his left; those who have gained fame and honors to his right and the despised ones to the left; but it is specified that he will place the good on his right and the wicked on his left.

The punishment of the wicked is described in numerous passages of the Scriptures as "everlasting fire" (v. 41); "unquenchable fire" (Mt 3:12); "eternal shame and infamy" (Dn 12,2); a place where the worm does not die and the fire is not extinguished (Mk 9:48); unquenchable thirst (Lk 16:23-24); eternal ruin, far from the presence of God (2 Thess 1,9); place where those who have worshiped the beast will drink the wrath of God and be tortured with fire and brimstone, while the smoke of their torment will rise for ever and ever and they will have no rest neither day nor night (Rev 14:10-11) .

Jesus shares the condition of the poor from the manger to the cross and identifies himself to such an extent with them that he makes concern for the poor the very condition to enter his kingdom. Through works of mercy we touch the very body of Christ in the person who suffers and who is in need; through them - the sacrament of love - a true communion with him is achieved.

Prayer

Lord, God of infinite compassion, give us your Spirit, so that we can recognize you in those who await our works of mercy; and brings forth in us the fruits of eternal life. Amen.

- Rev. Dr. Luca Vona