Il Rev. Dr. Luca Vona
Un evangelico nel Deserto

Ministro della Christian Universalist Association

giovedì 31 marzo 2022

1 Minute Gospel. Christ, the treasure hidden in the Scriptures

Reading

Jn 5:31-47

31 “If I testify about myself, my testimony is not true. 32 There is another who testifies in my favor, and I know that his testimony about me is true.
33 “You have sent to John and he has testified to the truth. 34 Not that I accept human testimony; but I mention it that you may be saved. 35 John was a lamp that burned and gave light, and you chose for a time to enjoy his light.
36 “I have testimony weightier than that of John. For the works that the Father has given me to finish—the very works that I am doing—testify that the Father has sent me. 37 And the Father who sent me has himself testified concerning me. You have never heard his voice nor seen his form, 38 nor does his word dwell in you, for you do not believe the one he sent. 39 You study[a] the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me to have life.
41 “I do not accept glory from human beings, 42 but I know you. I know that you do not have the love of God in your hearts. 43 I have come in my Father’s name, and you do not accept me; but if someone else comes in his own name, you will accept him. 44 How can you believe since you accept glory from one another but do not seek the glory that comes from the only God[b]?
45 “But do not think I will accuse you before the Father. Your accuser is Moses, on whom your hopes are set. 46 If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote about me. 47 But since you do not believe what he wrote, how are you going to believe what I say?”

Meditation

According to the Mosaic law the judges could not rely on a single witness, but the testimony of two or three persons was necessary for a judgement (Dt 17,6; 19,15; Num 35,30). The messianic identity of Jesus is confirmed in this passage from John's Gospel by four witnesses: the ministry of John the Baptist (vv. 32-35); the works performed by Jesus; the Father, who spoke in the baptism at the Jordan and who addresses the conscience directly (vv. 37-38); the Scriptures (vv. 39-40) and in particular Moses (the books of the Pentateuch).

By affirming that the Scriptures bear witness to him, Jesus reveals himself as the mystery contained in them and offers us a key to interpret their most authentic meaning. Thus Philip recognized, when he affirmed "We have found the one Moses wrote about in the Law, and about whom the prophets also wrote" (Jn 1:45); and the evangelist John himself, at the end of the prologue of his Gospel: "the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ" (Jn 1:16-18).

Jesus is the hidden treasure in the field of the Scriptures, for which it is worth selling all our possessions; in fact, whoever knows him has eternal life (1 Jn 5:11). However, he is a Messiah different from what the doctors of Israel represented; he is not a political liberator because he does not receive glory from men (v. 41); his will is solely to please the Father.

The error of the Pharisees is to believe that the mere knowledge of the Scriptures can gain them eternal life, but they fail to recognize the Messiah announced by them. We too can be misled from feeling ourselves to be the custodians of an age-old wisdom. The absence of righteousness of intention - that is, the search for human glory - and the tendentious interpretation of the Scriptures, guided by preconceptions that seek only confirmation of our own convictions, keep us away from the Truth.

But if the word of God penetrates deeply into our souls, if we assimilate it by meditating on it frequently, consulting it on every occasion, conforming to it in words and actions, then it will give witness to Christ and make ourselves witnesses of Christ. Coming to him - who is the truth made man - means placing oneself in the shadow of grace; for he did not come to accuse, because it is the law that accuses man of sin.

Jesus came as our advocate for our justification, the bearer of that grace which does not annul the ancient Scriptures but brings them to perfection. His person makes them alive, capable of questioning us here and now, if we are capable of listening with humility.

Prayer

Arouse in us, o Lord, an ardent desire to know you; so that by meditating and keeping your word we can make your light shine among men. Amen.

- Rev. Dr. Luca Vona